Ross County Community Action Commission, Inc.

Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP)

Home Weatherization Assistance Program


The Ohio Home Weatherization Assistance Program (HWAP) is a no-cost energy assistance program designed to increase the energy efficiency of dwellings owned or occupied by income-eligible Ohioans. It reduces the participants’ household energy expenditures and improves health and safety as well. HWAP is federally funded by the U.S. Department of Energy and provided to Ohioans at no cost for customers whose annual household income is at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines. Ohio’s HWAP is administered through the Ohio Department of Development’s Community Development Division (CDD) and its Office of Community Services (OCS). HWAP is also available to households participating in HEAP, OWF, or SSI.

What we can do:
•Insulation in attics, sidewalls and floors
•Duct insulation
•Replacement of heating systems
•Replacement of hot water tanks
•Broken Glass Replacement
•Door replacement
What we can do:
•Storm Windows
•Storm Doors
•Total Window Replacement

Ohio Partners for Affordable Energy


Ohio Partners for Affordable Energy (OPAE) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit membership organization created to advocate for affordable energy policies for moderate and low-income Ohioans. OPAE conducts education and training programs for nonprofit agencies. OPAE also manages energy efficiency assistance programs for low-income households, as well as provides consulting and research services to public and private organizations on a variety of energy-related topics.

What we can do:
We are able to come to your home and evaluate the energy consumption of your appliances. If they are greater than the guidelines provided by AEP, we are able to replace them with a more energy efficient model. The appliances we are able to replace include: refrigerators/freezers, air conditioning units and light bulbs.
What we can’t do
•Proof of Income (in order to be eligible you must be at or below 200% of the Ohio Poverty Guidelines)
•Must be a current AEP customer
•Copy of your most recent electric bill
•Written permission from your landlord
The landlord must sign a rental agreement granting permission prior to work beginning on a home. All applications must be completely filled out , signed, and updated every 6 months. Proof of Income for the past 90 days for all household members must be provided for the application to be processed. Applications are available at 250 Woodbridge Avenue, Chillicothe, Ohio 45601.